(Click on photos for bigger one)
Back to Bikes
To be honest, I never really intended the bike to go through so many
changes, and certainly not in so short a time. However, when you
haven't much else to do over a summer break, things just happen on
their own. I suppose the history of this bike started when I put out an
ad on freecycle asking for free bikes. I got the bike from someone
else, and took it home all the way from Fort Collins, CO to Decatur,
AL. It made a short stop in Chicago.
first the bike was ridden around stock. But then I found a junked foot
scooter and decided to try making a chopper. I had wondered what would
get into someone to take a perfectly good bike and chop it up. Of
course, thats what most freak bikes were at one time. I chopped the
front drop outs off of the bike, and put most of the rear of the foot
scooter onto the front forks. I then rammed the two parts into each
other. To finish it off, I added the front wheel from the foot scooter
as the front wheel of my new chopper. I had to reverse the scooter
piece once as the bike was really hard to handle for a bit.
it remained for a couple of weeks. Then I decided to lengthen the forks
even more. I grabbed some angle iron from a mail box post and welded
that into the forks. There was real attitude on that bike.
However, I have no photos of this mod.
A week or so later, I watched Easy Rider and
there was a 4th of July celebration planned at a local park. I decided
to rake the forks, make them even longer, and paint the bike. I decided
to call the bike "Private America" after the chopper featured in the
First, I sawed the head tube off, and then I tried
to weld it on again. The welder kept burning right through the thing
bike frame. I began to weld braces and everything onto the bike. Much
of a whole scrap pile went onto that bike, but it kept falling off. The
welder was just not cutting it.
I gave up about 1am, and then decided to tackel it
the next day. This time, I went with a brazing torch. The frame was
shortened some what, but the head tube went on and stayed on. I also
redid the forks. I finished about 1am again by paing the bike and
wheels red white and blue. It was ready for the scheduled bike ride the
I arrived, and rode over, but suddenly realized that
this might not be a bike ride for my bike. In the parking lot were
dozens of spandex clad guys with their high dollar road bikes. The
shortest ride available was 30 miles. For some reason I thought that it
was a family ride. Oh well. I rode around some, and then returned. The
seat was really uncomfortable, so I added some fome to it. It didn't
look like much.
Finally I decided to go all out. I sawed apart the blue frame and then
using just the rear triangle, I fashioned a completely new bike out of
EMT tubing. There were also some parts from a bike pulled out of the
dump welded in. However, the head tube kept getting ripped off. I
installed a gusset, and that took care of the problem. Then the forks
bent and I realized I was going to need a tripple tree fork. I made one
of those, but the holes weren't quite lined up, so I fought to assemble
the bike. I fashioned a seat, and installed that. However, no brake was
a few days, I dissassembled the bike and put it on the back of my car
for the ride back to Fort Collins. Upon arrival, I reassembled it but
it didn't handle as well as it once did. I rode it a few miles, and in
the end, it was chopped up and cannabalized for parts for the cargo
trike and tall bike. The frame sits in a garage awaiting some loving
attention, but that might not be for a while.